Happy New Year, Droppers! We know there is a lot of pressure every year to set lofty resolutions. Something that we love about sustainability is that you don’t have to make huge lifestyle changes to make a difference! So many household items have greener counterparts. Here’s a list of simple household swaps you can try in 2022:
In the Kitchen
1. Swap paper towels for Swedish dish towels that celebrate Oceana's conservation wins for the ocean.
2. Swap liquid dishwasher detergent for eco-friendly detergent pods.
3. Swap single-use plastic bags for reusable silicon bags.
4. Swap tin foil for silicon baking sheets.
5. Swap disposable food containers for glass or metal containers.
7. Swap disposable plastic wrap for cloth bowl covers or beeswax wraps.
In the Bathroom
8. Swap plastic toothbrushes for bamboo ones.
9. Swap toothpaste (in plastic tubes) for chewable toothpaste tablets (in glass jars).
10. Swap traditional shampoo bottles for shampoo bars or refillable shampoos.
11. Swap cotton pads for reusable cloth makeup remover wipes.
12. Swap traditional toilet paper for some made from recycled paper or bamboo.
In the Laundry Room
13. Swap liquid detergent in a plastic jug for laundry detergent pods.
14. Swap dryer sheets for wool dryer balls!
15. Swap liquid fabric softener for fabric softener pods.
16. Swap the fast-fashion purchases for thrifting or antique-ing!
In the Office
17. Invest in smart power strips. Rather than relying on humans to unplug all their gadgets, a smart power strip does the work for you by shutting off the power to products that are in standby mode.
18. Delete old emails and unsubscribe from email lists you no longer need.
For the Kids
19. Swap plastic toys for wooden and fabric ones! (Bonus: many times these toys end up being more educational).
20. Swap paper bagged lunches for a metal lunchbox.
21. Swap disposable diapers for cloth ones (there are even services that will wash them for you)!
22. Swap traditional craft supplies for non-toxic crayons, recycled craft paper, and plant-based glue sticks!