Silk is a fabric that evokes luxury, but few know the truth about it. In fact, many people believe that silk is a sustainable fabric. That may not be exactly true. Silk, like fur or leather, is derived from animal products. Silkworms are boiled in their cocoons to harvest their silk-with an estimated 6.6 thousand worms needed to make one kilogram of the fabric.
Living a sustainable and cruelty-free life may mean forgoing fabric made from silkworms–but it doesn’t mean you need to go without silky fabric altogether! Vegan silk is an excellent alternative. You won’t feel the difference–but the environment (and your conscious) will thank you. Read on for the full scoop about this sustainable fabric and how to wash vegan silk.
What is Vegan Silk?
Vegan Silk is a silk-like fabric made from sustainable materials–typically plant-based fibers. While there are a variety of fabrics described as vegan silk, one of our favorites is created by the slow fashion intimates brand, Maylyn & Co. Their Persian Lotus Silk is made from lotus plants that are organically farmed and free from chemical sprays and harmful behaviors to the environment and animals. Their silk is breathable, helps reduce sweating at night, and is gentle on skin. The fabric texture mimics that of traditional silk, so there’s no need to sacrifice luxury sleepwear in the name of sustainability.
Sold on buying intimates made from vegan silk? We are too. But how do you wash vegan silk? Read on for a step-by-step guide that will have your vegan silk sleepwear fresh and clean.
How to Wash Vegan Silk
- Check the garment’s care label. Most delicate garments or fabrics will have specific instructions on the tag. Persian Lotus Silk is hand wash only.
- Fill a clean sink or basin with cold or warm water.
- Add 1-2 pumps of Ultra Concentrated Sensitive Skin Laundry Detergent to the water. Dropps’ Sensitive Skin Detergent is free of enzymes, making it perfect for natural fibers which require a gentle (yet effective) clean.
- Soak the garment in the water for a few minutes. Be sure to leave room for the clothes to move around instead of overloading the basin.
- Gently swish the garment through the water. Be careful not to twist or tug the fabric!
- Drain the basin and rinse in clean water.
Now that you know how to wash vegan silk, you can upgrade your sleepwear wardrobe sustainably and worry-free!