(Photo Credit: Demand Media)
Baseball hats are perfect for keeping your face shaded on a sunny day. But between the sweltering sun and a friendly game of baseball (or even just a brisk jog), dirt, oils, and sweat can get trapped in your hat, leaving behind a stinky, dirty mess. Unfortunately, hats aren’t as easy to clean as your favorite old t-shirt. From misshapen brims to fast-fading colors, there are lots of issues that can make washing hats tricky. Don’t worry—we’ll break it all down for you here so your hats will look like new in no time!
The most important thing to take note of before washing your hat is what type of brim it has:
Hats that have cardboard-supported brims are older (made prior to 1983), and when you tap or flick the brim, it will make a hollow sound. Unfortunately, these types of hats can only be spot cleaned—submerging one in water will deform the brim, ruining the hat altogether!1. To clean a cardboard brimmed hat, drop your favorite detergent pac into warm water and let it fully dissolve.
2. Take a clean towel and dip it into the solution and lightly buff out any stains on the cap or inner headband. Be careful not to soak the brim! For tougher stains, use a soft-bristled brush to pull the grime out of the fabric.
3. Rinse the towel thoroughly and gently wipe the detergent off the hat until none is remaining.
4. Let the hat air dry, and enjoy!
Newer hats (made after 1983) typically have plastic-supported brims, and are usually machine-washable. (Always check the care label first, just to be sure!)
If your hat is machine-washable…
1. Place the hat into the washer (alone or with a smaller load of laundry so it doesn’t lose its shape) with a mild detergent and wash with warm water on a gentle cycle. For especially soiled hats, toss in an oxi-booster pac as well to eliminate even the toughest stains! You can even place your hat in a hat form to prevent it from losing form in the washer.
3. Let the hat air dry, with the hat form or head mold if necessary, or hang it up!
If your hat is not machine-washable…1. Drop a gentle detergent pac into a basin or container of warm water and let it fully dissolve.
2. Place your hat into the solution and let it soak for 1-2 minutes.
3. Scrub any stains or soiled areas gently with a clean towel or a soft-bristled brush.
4. Rinse thoroughly with cool water.
5. Remove the hat from the solution, and place it on a clean, dry towel, and lightly press the towel against the hat to soak up any excess water.
6. Let the hat air dry, using a mold if necessary, and enjoy!
DroppsProTip: Never use hot water when washing your hats, as they are prone to shrinking!