Tie-dying fabric is such a wonderful summer activity, and one we are sure a lot of you are enjoying in your homes as the season wraps up! It’s perfect for all ages, with vibrant colors bleeding through in a myriad of patterns and designs. Creativity you can wear! We want those colors to stay just as exuberant with each wash as the day you made them, so we’ve assembled a few best practices for washing your tie dye fabrics.
Washing for the first time:
- Try soaking your tie dye in equal parts white vinegar and cold water for 30 minutes after you initially rinse out the dye from your garment to help with colorfastness.
- Toss your pieces into the washing machine with other newly tie-dyed items in a similar color scheme. Avoid adding other clothing to this wash, as the dye can run.
- Set to the smallest size load.
- Add laundry detergent. May we suggest one of our Small Loads Pods?
- Set the water temperature to hot. (The hot water will help set the dye.)
- Place your items in the dryer.
- Dry on high heat until completely dry to help set your dye.
- Marvel at your masterpiece!
Tips for future washing to avoid fading:
- Continue to wash tie dye shirts alone, or with other tie dye items or similarly colored garments.
- Before washing, turn your tie dye garments inside out to protect the colors.
- Run the washer on the gentle cycle using cold water.
- Avoid leaving the garments in the wash too long after the cycle finishes, so the colors don’t bleed!
- Air dry if possible. If not, dry in the dryer on a medium or low heat setting.
We hope this leaves you feeling energized and well-equipped for all your end of summer tie-dying! May the colors be bright, and the garments you create be cherished for years to come.