As summer wraps up, you might be looking at your lovely outdoor furniture with a fond heart, but a critical eye. Although Sunbrella and other outdoor fabrics can withstand all sorts of weather and typical wear and tear, it’s possible that yours has collected a few stains from all the s’mores, popsicles, and other summer treats. The best memories are always the messiest, in our opinion! If you’re looking for the best way to scrub away the grime, we’ve got just the How-To for you.
For spot cleaning:
- Start by blotting liquid spills with a clean, dry cloth.
- If you’re tending to an oil-based spill, apply cornstarch to absorb any excess liquid, and then remove with a straight edge.
- Apply a mix of soap and water to the spot using a spray bottle.
- Rinse the fabric thoroughly to remove soap residue and allow to air dry.
- If need be, you can repeat this process, working the soap solution into the stain with a sponge or very soft bristled brush.
For cleaning removable covers:
- Remove fabric from cushion or furniture.
- Toss in the washing machine alone with your favorite stain-fighting detergent (like our Stain and Odor Laundry Detergent Pods.)
- Hand wash the fabric by soaking the fabric in a solution of 1/4 cup soap per gallon of lukewarm water. Use a sponge or soft bristled brush to agitate fabric if necessary and rinse thoroughly to remove all soap residue.
- Let air dry.
It’s as easy as that! We hope this empowers you to give these pieces a quick clean before packing them away for the year or moving on into the fall with them. Keep an eye out for more helpful How-To articles coming soon. Happy washing!