We all have that one pair of sneakers that we wear day in and day out and truth be told, they’re pretty dirty and smelly from all of the wear. Luckily, you can easily wash most sneakers right in your washing machine without ruining them. If you have canvas sneakers made out of nylon, cotton, or polyester, they will withstand the washing machine but make sure to save your suede, leather, and rubber shoes for the cleaning professionals. Keep on reading for an easy step-by-step guide to washing your sneakers at home and your favorite kicks will be squeaky clean in no time!
1. Spot clean! Before you throw your dirty sneakers into the washing machine, you’re going to want to spot clean them with a toothbrush. This is a great way to re-use your plastic toothbrushes instead of throwing them away. Scrub any stains and dirty away with the toothbrush and some soapy water.
2. Freshen up! Sprinkle 3 tablespoons of baking soda into the inside of the shoe. Let this sit in your sneaker overnight to help with any odors that may be lingering around in your sneakers.
3. Wash prep! Make sure to remove the soles of your shoes and the shoelaces from your sneakers. Then, put your sneakers into a microfiber catching laundry bag (we love this one from Guppy Friend!) along with the soles and the shoelaces.
4. Enter the washing machine! Now your sneakers are ready for the washing machine. Put the laundry bag with your shoes inside the drum of the washing machine. You may also want to add some dry towels of a similar hue to the drum to prevent your sneakers from moving around too much. Place a Dropps Stain & Odor laundry detergent pod inside, along with a Dropps Oxi Booster pod for enhanced stain and odor fighting power!
5. Start the cycle! You’ll want to wash your sneakers on a gentle cycle so select delicates and the cold water temperature setting to prevent any color fading or shrinkage.
6. Air-dry! Once the wash cycle is complete, remove your sneakers from the laundry bag. Never place shoes in the dryer because heat can have damaging effects on the form and color of the sneakers. Instead, air dry your sneakers, shoelaces, and soles outside. You can fill the insides of the sneakers with newspapers to soak up any excess water.
And that’s it! Your sneakers will be looking brand new in no time. Check out our TikTok for more tips on how to easily wash your sneakers right at home.