Alright, friends. Today’s How To is less than glamorous but super important (especially during any virus or flu season.) Although most people already know how to clean their toilets, we thought it would be a good idea to share how you can use our Laundry & Household Oxi Booster Pods to do so, and to emphasize a few important points! You may be wondering how often you should be cleaning your toilet, as it is one of the most contaminated surfaces in your home. Most cold and flu viruses survive from a few hours to up to 9 days on surfaces like your toilet. When someone in your house is sick, most experts encourage you to clean your toilet as often as possible, with a full disinfect every two to three days. When we aren’t in a virus season, once a week (or biweekly if the toilet is used less often) should be just fine.
How to clean your toilet:
- Remove everything from around the toilet first. Cleaning a toilet can get quite messy, and we don’t want to splash cleaner on other items!
- Gather a bristle scrubbing brush, a sponge, a pair of rubber gloves, one Oxi Booster pod, and a bucket of warm water.
- Drop the Oxi Booster pod in the water and let it sit until the pod has fully dissolved.
- Put on your gloves to protect your hands.
- Start with the exterior of your toilet. You can work your way up from its foundation to the lid itself. Wipe underneath your toilet thoroughly with the sponge and soapy water.
- Next, scrub both sides of the toilet seat thoroughly, then move to the tough spots of the toilet that are known for harboring germs. The toilet’s flush handle is a good spot to focus on as it can be even dirtier than the actual seat itself, according to the NSF International study.
- Then dip the brush in the bucket of soapy water, then use it to coat the entirety of your toilet bowl, starting underneath the bowl’s rim and working around. Make sure the solution is scrubbed thoroughly into the toilet bowl. Let it sit for five minutes to fully disinfect, then flush.
And that’s all there is to it! While it isn’t the most fun task on a cleaning list, if you follow these steps we know it can be a quick, painless job that helps kill the germs in your home. Happy washing!