How often do you clean your makeup sponge or beauty blender? Odds are it’s been a while. Makeup sponges are a popular application tool due to their small size, multiple uses, and flawless finish they provide. However, celebrity esthetician Renée Rouleau shares that these sponges hold on to quite a bit of bacteria, so when you use it in the morning, you’re spreading germs and oil more than you may realize. Learn how to clean makeup sponges properly to avoid buildup that can lead to irritation and breakouts.
How Often Should You Clean Your Makeup Sponge?
Makeup sponges should be washed regularly, and replaced every three months. How often is regularly? While in an ideal world we would wash our makeup tools after every use, that reality is often unrealistic. Instead, aim to clean your makeup sponge at least once a week. Luckily, washing a makeup sponge isn’t time consuming!
How to Clean Makeup Sponges (by soaking)
- Fill a clean sink or bucket half full with very hot water.
- Add an Oxi pod and make sure it fully dissolves.
- Immerse the sponges in the solution for 30 mins, swishing them around periodically.
- Rinse thoroughly in very hot water, making sure all of the cleaning solution has been rinsed out.
- Lay your sponges out to air dry, preferably in direct sunlight outdoors!
How to Clean Makeup Sponges (by hand washing)
- Wet your makeup sponge by running it under warm or hot water.
- Add one pump of Ultra Concentrated Sensitive Skin Detergent to the sponge.
- Massage the detergent through the sponge to make sure the soap gets through to the center.
- Rinse and squeeze the sponge under running water until it runs clear.
- Let air dry, preferably in direct sunlight outdoors.
What soap should I use to clean my makeup sponge?
We recommend using a gentle detergent or soap to clean your makeup sponge. You want to be sure the soap you use is strong enough to tackle caked on makeup, but gentle enough to wash something that comes in direct contact with your skin. We recommend using a product like our Sensitive Skin Laundry Detergent or Oxi Booster Pods, but you can also use a mild dish soap or product designed specifically for cleaning makeup sponges.
Frequently Asked Questions
Have more questions about how to clean makeup sponges? We’re here to help.
How do you clean a makeup blender sponge?
You can clean a makeup sponge by either soaking it or hand washing. There is no one best way to clean makeup sponges–both methods work, so whichever method you are more likely to commit to is the best way to clean it!
How do you get makeup out of a makeup sponge?
Washing a makeup sponge with hot water and soap is the best way to remove makeup. The best way to keep makeup from settling in your sponge is to wash it daily.