Welcome to Plastic Free July, a global movement that helps millions of people be part of the solution to plastic pollution – so we can have cleaner streets, oceans, and communities!
To celebrate this month, we’re dishing out some of our favorite tips for ditching single-use plastics and reducing waste in every corner of your life! Maybe you’ve gone plastic-free in your kitchen, but still need some recommendations for your bathroom. Or perhaps you’re new to the single-use plastic revolution altogether (welcome, welcome!).
One of the best things about this month is getting the opportunity to shout out some of our favorite brands. Our brands of brothers, if you will. Let's jump in!
In Your Kitchen
- Kiss single-use sandwich bags goodbye and get yourself some Stasher bags! We’ve got heart eyes for the entire color selection!
- If you’re a “warm beverage in the morning” person, stock your cabinet with Teapigs plastic-free teabags and accessories or Colonna coffee pods
- Our Swedish Dish Cloths are a reusable, eco paper towel alternative that won’t disappoint
- When you need to cover a dish (or the other half of that summer watermelon) reach for Bees Wrap.
- ECObags make incredible produce bags, nut milk strainers, and so much more for your kitchen. We want them all!
- Packing up a lunch for yourself or the little ones? These lunch boxes from Elephant Box are stainless steel and super sleek.
- Download this app using returnable tupperware for food delivery! No more guilty feelings on those nights when you order in. ;)
In Your Bathroom
- A fab alternative to plastic toothbrushes, Bamboo toothbrushes last far longer (and fit in with your bohemian bathroom).
- While we’re at it, The Humble Company and Georganics both have a wide selection of sustainable oral care as well!
- Instead of creating more trash every time you remove your makeup, opt for reusable makeup pads from this list
- Reel and Who Gives A Crap have created sustainable toilet paper rolls that ships right to your door.
- Toss an Oxi Boost Pod into a bucket of water to create an all purpose cleaner for your toilet, shower, and floors!
- It can be intimidating to pick a shampoo bar for yourself (especially if you’re fond of your current plastic-housed products), but this list by Elle Magazine has a perfect option for everyone.
In Your Bedroom
- The Buffy comforter is made entirely of Oeko-Tex certified, earth-friendly eucalyptus fiber. How cool (literally) is that?!
- Want to pair it with similar bedding? Cozy Earth bamboo sheets are the bomb. Bye-bye synthetic fibers.
- While you’re at it, check out their site for loungewear as well!
- Here are some additional plastic free clothing brands to support. And remember, if you’re doing a wardrobe update, always donate what you don’t want to keep!
- ModiBodi has leak-proof period underwear that reduces single-use plastic waste generated from individually wrapped period products!
- If you’ve got a little one in the bassinet or on the way, check out Marley’s Monsters for eco-friendly reusable products and baby goods.
- If you’re up for the challenge choose cloth diapers instead of the traditional disposable ones!
In Your Laundry Room
- Nothing cleans quite like the original detergent pods. ;) Switch to our Stain & Odor Pods for everyday stains, Sensitive Skin Pods for a gentler touch, or our new Active Wash Pods for tougher stains and work out wear!
- Dryer balls are a fantastic alternative to dryer sheets, not only because of their long lifespan, but because they can cut drying time down by 50%, saving you tons of energy.
- Instead of plastic storage containers, use mason jars for pods and other cleaning products.
- Worried about micro plastics shedding from your clothes in the wash? Check out the Coraball!
At the Gym
- Keep yourself hydrated with a reusable water bottle (plastic bottles are prehistoric!) Our favorites are Kleen Kanteen, Hydroflask, S’well, and Corkcicle.
- Have you heard about our Girlfriend? We mean Girlfriend Collective, the active wear brand! Another plastic-dominating powerhouse.
- Keep your feet zoomin' with Allbirds.
- Instead of buying a synthetic one, invest in a bamboo yoga mat. They sure are easy on the eyes, too.
- Period cups are reusable, durable, and good for 12 hours which makes them perfect for exercise and for the planet!
Traveling & On the Road
- Did you know that Dropps has Small Loads Pods? We don't like to compare sizes, but they sure are convenient for on the road washing.
- Final Straw makes reusable straws (go figure) as well as compact utensils that we love!
- Find a reusable coffee cup to help you java on the go. Check out KeepCup, Frank Green, and JOCO!
- Rothys shoes are sustainably made and super lightweight for packing. Double whammy!
- Make sure you bring the ever compact, ever stylish Baggu with you to throw any last minute items or snacks into!
- Invest in ethical luggage like the Everlane ReNew Transit Weekender, which is made out of 100% recycled polyester and renewed plastic bottles. We also love the Heys America Eco-lite Carry-On Suitcase!
- Block out the sun with Bambooka sunglasses instead of picking up a pair of cheap plastic ones at your destination.
Are you feeling that plastic-free groove yet? We hope you are, and that this summer is one of renewal for all of us. Not every eco-friendly swap is possible for all individuals and families, but we hope you'll feel the power of making little changes wherever you can to build a more conscious relationship with the planet. For some extra reading, check out this article from Kristy Drutman on our blog last year where she talks more about keeping our environmental efforts intersectional.
Happy Plastic Free July!