If you're reading this, chances are you're a parent and you've got some dirty diapers you need to tackle. When preparing for a new baby, most parents don’t anticipate the level of laundry until they're knee-deep in soiled diapers, crusty baby bibs, and too many onesies to count. Many parents are drawn to the idea of cloth diapers in an effort to save money and prevent waste, but are turned off by the potential mess. Don't panic–we’ll help you learn how to clean cloth diapers efficiently and easily!
How to Clean Cloth Diapers
- Rinse or lightly clean soiled diapers before putting them in the pail. Flush any solids and then immediately rinse the diaper in cold water. Doing this will reduce the amount of stench produced by these diapers and also prevent stains from settling. Once you do this, fill up the pail with the diapers.
- Dump the dirty diapers and liner from the pail into the washer machine. We recommend washing cloth diapers every 2-3 days.
- Soak the diapers. Before adding detergent, you can run cold soak cycle or warm rinse cycle on your washer machine. Avoid using the hot water temperate as that will encourage stains to settle.
- Add detergent. Once the diapers have soaked, add detergent for a proper cleansing and sanitizing wash cycle. It's important to use detergent that is formulated without enzymes or optical brighteners so you don't irritate a baby's sensitive skin. We recommend using our Sensitive Skin & Baby Laundry Detergent. Use hot water for maximum cleaning power!
- Line dry the diapers. Not only will this help save money and energy, line drying extends the life of the diapers. If you need to tumble dry, set the dryer on the lowest heat and delicate setting as to not damage the fibers.
Frequently Asked Questions
Have more burning questions about how to clean cloth diapers? We’ve got answers to help you with all your cloth diaper care needs.
What is the best way to clean cloth diapers?
When it comes to how to clean reusable diapers, a cold rinse followed by a hot water wash in the machine is best. Cloth diapers should be rinsed in cold water immediately after they are soiled, but can wait in a diaper pail for 2-3 days before being washed in the washing machine. Be sure to use hot water and a gentle detergent!
How do you clean poop out of cloth diapers?
Not sure how to clean a poopy cloth diaper? They may be smelly, but they aren’t difficult to wash. Before washing reusable diapers, be sure to flush any solid waste and rinse the cloth diaper in cold water. You can then wash the diaper in a washing machine!
Is it sanitary to wash cloth diapers in washer?
Absolutely! They may seem gross, but washing cloth diapers in your washing machine is no less sanitary than washing your sweaty workout clothes or a stained shirt. We do recommend washing cloth diapers separately from the rest of your laundry, and to dispose of solid waste and rinse diapers before washing. A quick rinse immediately after they are soiled is best.
Do you have to wash cloth diapers after every use?
You don’t like wearing soiled clothes, and neither does your baby! Cloth diapers are less absorbent than their disposable counterparts, and should be changed more often. After your baby uses a cloth diaper, you should change it and put the soiled diaper in a diaper pail. We recommend washing soiled diapers every 2-3 days, or as instructed by the manufacturer.