Celebrated on the Tuesday following Thanksgiving and the widely recognized shopping events Black Friday and Cyber Monday, #GivingTuesday kicks off the charitable season, when many focus on their holiday and end-of-year giving. Since its inaugural year in 2012, #GivingTuesday has become a movement that celebrates and supports giving and philanthropy with events throughout the year and a growing catalog of resources.
Here are five easy ways to get involved:
- For Giving Tuesday on November, 27th, 2018, Facebook is partnering with PayPal, to match a total of up to $7 million in donations made on Facebook to eligible US-based 501(c)(3) nonprofits.
- Support Dropps' partnership with One Warm Coat and help warm even more people this season.
- Volunteer your time. #GivingTuesday is primarily an online event, but there are plenty of organizations that are in need of hands-on help.
- Search Giving Tuesday's website for local events in your area.
- Consider your year round charitable giving. It’s important to remember to give back whenever possible — not just the Tuesday after Thanksgiving. Many nonprofits have membership or giving packages that make it easy to donate just a few dollars a month.