My Account

Remember Your Pets during Poison Prevention Week

While much of the nationally-recognized effort has been directed at raising awareness with parents of small children, let's think about the other potential dangers lurking in our houses for our other family members - our pets. 

“Pets are curious and often can’t resist smelling, tasting and sometimes swallowing foods, plants and other items in our homes that interest them,” said Ahna Brutlag, DVM, MS, and assistant director at Pet Poison Helpline. “Poison-proofing your home is important. Taking simples steps such as making sure your houseplants are non-toxic and storing medications in secure areas will significantly reduce the chances that your dog or cat will come in contact with a toxic substance.” 

Some common plants that are toxic for dogs (you can find a complete list at the ASPCA website):

  • Azaleas
  • Daffodils
  • Hyacinths
  • Tulips
  • Lilies
  • Oleander
  • Sago palm
  • Foxglove
  • Mushrooms

  • It’s important to keep certain garden items cleaned up and away from your pets:
    • Bait traps for rodents, snails, and slugs
    • Insecticides
    • Blood meal
    • Fertilizers

    If you think your pet may have ingested something harmful, take action immediately. Contact your veterinarian or pet urgent care center.  

    The ASPCA's new mobile app provides a wealth of poison control knowledge in the palm of your hand. With quick access to potentially life-saving information and our hotline 24/7/365, the ASPCA APCC app will help you keep your pet safe year-round.

    Sources: ASPCA, Pet Poison Helpline


    Dropps in the News

    Get the latest updates and deals from Dropps